Defence childcare centres
Children of mobile Defence families can receive priority of access to Defence childcare centres around Australia. Defence Community Organisation (DCO) also provides individual case management to help parents with childcare placement. For more information click here.
More childcare resources
There are several childcare facilities in Katherine. The resources below may help you locate the right childcare service for your family.
Tindal Preschool: Located on RAAF Base Tindal, Tindal Preschool services all children living on Base and those who are attending Little Geckos Childcare Centre. For more information, tindal.ps [at] ntschools.net (email) or phone (09) 8971 7127.
Little Geckos Childcare Centre (Tindal): (08) 8971 7180
Katherine East Childcare Centre: (08) 8972 3317
Little Joey’s Early Learning Centre: (08) 8972 3864
Little Mangoes Childcare Centre: (08) 8971 3335
DCO provides a range of services and resources for Defence children to assist with the transition between schools and education systems when families move, and to provide support for the unique needs of Defence students. You can find information on schooling, including aides and mentors on the DCO website on Education or Your Community pages.
Katherine offers a small range of primary, secondary and tertiary education opportunities.
- Casuarina Street Primary School: (08) 8971 2645. Out of school hours care contact: (08) 8971 2643.
- Clyde Fenton Primary School: (08) 8972 1122
- Katherine South Primary School: (08) 8972 1277. Out of school hours contact: (08) 8972 1277.
- MacFarlane Primary School: (08) 8972 3666
- Kintore St Special Needs School: (08) 8971 0060
- Katherine High School: (08) 8973 8200
- St Joseph’s College Katherine: (08) 8972 3555
NT School Terms
Click here to see the school terms observed in the NT during 2018.
Schools with Defence Aides and Mentors
The Defence School Transition Program provides support to children of ADF families, particularly during their transition into and out of a school on posting or during parental absences due to deployment, exercises or courses.
The in-school aides (for primary schools) and mentors (for high schools) are funded by the Department of Defence through DCO (Defence Community Organisation). They are employed as a member of the school staff by respective schools or education systems within each State or Territory.
Primary schools with Defence School Transition Aides (DSTAs)
Casuarina Street Primary School, Katherine
Katherine South Primary School, Katherine
St Joseph’s Catholic College, Katherine
High schools with Defence Transition Mentors (DTMs)
- Katherine High School, Katherine
Other helpful resources
- DCO NT Regional Education Liaison Officer (REDLO): Annick Beyderwellen, (08) 8935 7900
- Department of Education and Training NT
- NT Government Education Directory
- Open Universities: Providing flexible off-campus vocational and tertiary study options
- Charles Darwin University: Katherine and NT local university for both vocational and tertiary study options