We've scoured the Internet looking for the best resources to help support your transition into Katherine. Below you'll find everything from local news and events, sporting and recreation facilities, public transport options and a wide range of community groups. If you think something is missing please email communications [at] dha.gov.au or dco.communication [at] defence.gov.au with your suggestions.
Welcome to Katherine
ADF members and families – it’s that time of year again! We’d love to see you at one of our 2019 Welcome events.
Families in the area are invited to join us at the YMCA for a morning of family fun at ‘Welcome to Katherine’. We’ll have a range of community groups and organisations there to talk to you about support, assistance and activities you’ll find in the local area. There will also be displays by local groups, along with a variety of fun activities including a jumping castle and face painter. Be sure to register by 30 January.
When registering, please check that your email is accurate in case we need to contact you.
NOTE: This event is only for ADF members and their families.
News and events
Greyhound Australia coaches connect Katherine to Darwin.
The Ghan stops at Katherine during its train voyage from Darwin to Adelaide.
Katherine and Tindal offer a range of support services:
- Defence specific services and entitlements including, RLLT, Remote Locality Allowance, SPECMED, chaplaincy for the whole family, Defence Community Organisation.
- Katherine community services ranging from birth, child, youth, and aged care to financial assistance and crisis care.
- Business services including, IT needs, accounting, couriers and consultants.
- Maintenance including, housing services, cleaning, garden maintenance, mechanical needs and repairs.
- Legal services including, solicitors, conveyancing, JP witnessing, marriage celebrants, public prosecutions.
- Pastoral care including, AOG, Baptist, Christian Outreach, Seventh-Day Adventist, Catholic and Salvation Army Church groups.
- Federal Government support services including, Centrelink, CRS, Jobseeker services.
DHA has engaged with utility providers to deliver ongoing savings and benefits to Defence members and their families. To view the current offers and savings in your area, visit your Online Services dashboard.
To save money on your bill check out the Energy-Saving Guide for Northern Australia .