The Pilbara region features some of the world’s most ancient natural landscapes, dating back two billion years and stretching over 500,000 square kilometres. Often referred to as Australia’s engine room, the Pilbara is also home to a massive mining industry in crude oil, salt, natural gas and iron ore. You can explore the Pilbara’s colonial past in Roebourne, the oldest settlement in the northwest or you can travel inland and experience the unique communities of the rugged outback from Tom Price, the highest town in Western Australia, to Marble Bar, the hottest town in the country. Looking for information on Perth?
The Pilbara Regiment is the primary unit and its HQ is located in Karratha at Taylor Barracks. The Pilbara Regiment depots are located at Port Hedland, Newman, Tom Price, Exmouth, Carnarvon and Geraldton.
- The City of Karratha located in the Shire of Roebourne. It is estimated that the resident population is approximately 22 170 people.
- The town of Port Hedland is considered to be a twin town with South Hedland. It has a population of app 14 500 and is the second largest town in the Pilbara region.
- Exmouth is situated on the tip of the North West Cape. It is one of the few towns that can boast the Range to Reef experience. The shire of Exmouth is located in the Gascoyne region of Western Australia.
- Carnarvon is a unique location and commonly recognised for its banana plantations, tropical fruits, seafood and warm climate. It is in the heart of the Gascoyne region and is the doorstep of the Indian Ocean
- Tom Price is situated on the edge of the Hammersley Ranges within the Shire of Ashburton. It has a population of approx. 6000 people.
- The town of Newman was established by Mt Newman Mining Co in 1968. Today it has a population of app 7000 people but is on the verge of an expansion phase with the increased demand for iron ore.
- Geraldton is a major west coast seaport with a population of approximately 40,000 people. Geraldton is an important service and logistics centre for regional mining, fishing, wheat, sheep and tourism industries.
WA Public Holidays
Click here to see the public holidays observed in WA during 2018.
Click on the navigation menu to explore amenities, community groups, key contacts in region and more.
Pilbara region population
Sourced from www.abs.gov.au
Karijini National Park, Dales Gorge, Hancock Gorge, Oxer Lookout, Staircase to the moon, Dalgety House Museum, Hamersley Gorge, Yaburara Heritage Trail, Karlamilyi National Park
Sourced from Yahoo! Weather